September 12, 2009

Robbed.

~Betch

Sometimes, in life, being a good Samaritan isn't all that pleasant because you wouldn't know whether that good deed would be thrown back into your face. And yes, the good deed that I tried to do was flung straight back.

I was rushing to class two days ago a little before ten in the morning. As I was breeze-walking by, this car honked at me, I look up and I see this Indian dude waving at me, beckoning me forward. I stepped up to his car.

Me: What?
Dude: Hi, I'm sorry... I'm from Penang and I'm lost. I'm trying to get to Cheras and my brother-
in-law is waiting for me. Can you point me in the right direction?
Me: I'm not from here, Uncle. Sorry, I don't know the way (about to walk away)

I noticed he was very well dressed. He spoke fluent English and he was incredibly polite and well-mannered. As I was about to walk away, he said his phone is dead and he asked if I could led him my phone for a short call? I could understand a lost person in a car trying to find his way, I'd been there before. So my soft side surfaced and I STUPIDLY agreed to lend him my phone. He called his brother-in-law and said he was trying to find his way and all, bla bla bla...

I wasn't quick to notice that he was sneakily reaching for the gear and he changed it to Gear 1.

"OH, crap"

BOOM. He took off! He took off with my phone! I was left there, stunned. I was just a victim of robbery. Holy cow, there wasn't even a struggle. I gave it to him ignorantly WITH MY CONSENT. I couldn't believe how naive I was. As I pulled myself together, I walked up to my residence and reported it. They told me I'm not victim No.1. There have been worst cases, the office people said.

I wasn't going to let that thief have it just like that. Oh no. I called up Maxis to straighten things out.

Maxis: Hello there, this is Shalini. How can I help you?
Me: Hi, Shalini. I just got robbed of my phone and I don't want that thief using my phone with my SIM card in it. Is there anyway I can assure that the phone would be almost useless to him?
Maxis: ... ermm, well, Sir... we could block the SIM card.
Me: Fantastic. Please have it done as quickly as possible.
Maxis: Of course.

So, my Maxis number is unavailable now. I can retrieve that number when I get to a Maxis centre.

So there's my story. The scary thing is that that thief might have been observing me from a distance already, preparing to strike. And I can't believe I allowed it to happen so smoothly for him. Damn it. I was so incredibly naive at that time and a little messed up as I was rushing. I also fell for his polite manner.

I'm just thankful to God that I wasn't harmed and nothing else but my phone was taken away from me. It could have been worst but again God's grace was upon me, I was unscathed.

So to all readers anywhere in the world, robbers and thieves are getting smarter and sneakier by the minute. REMEMBER at all times to not entertain strangers! Maybe those from charity organisations asking for donations are alright. But honestly, anyone that just walks up to you in the street and asks for help, DON'T BOTHER. Just walk away.

One more thing for that thief. Dude, you've gotta be kidding me for stealing my phone man! The phone is basically 4 years old. All it's original parts have been replaced with fake ones and it has been dropped a million times. WHY WOULD YOU STEAL AN OUTDATED PHONE?!!! DUDE! You can't even get RM30 for that stub of a gadget. I would LOVE to see what you're gonna do with it.

Well, anyway, God be my witness, I'll let Him deal with the thief.

God bless and be safe, everyone :)

14 comments:

Robokop said...

didnt bring what u learned in college to practice eh lol

theramblingtrio said...

i dun have a subject that says Beware of Nice Thieves. But i totally get what you're saying neways :)

The Politician said...

Betch, haha, I am not suprise that you gave your phone....
Anyway, when I am in Ipoh, i notice so many bad things are happening too that we don't often see when we're in Seremban.

Anonymous said...

Luckily you're unharmed at all! I would have done what you did anyway, imagine what could have happened if you didn't offer your phone... so glad you're safe!

Betch said...

~Betch

Yes thank God I'm okay.

Eh politician, where's the pemancing ar? Long time he nvr posted anything.

Anonymous said...

The pemancing is right here... I've been very very very busy nowadays.. Promise sem break my turn to fill the blog") hahah.. Exams and all are killing me!!! Ain't easy... Wow war... U didn't tell me that... I would have been left dumb If I didn't read the blog... I can imagine if that happens to my beloved iPhone!!!! Argh!!! Hhahha... I shall not lend phones to strangers... Ask them to use the public phone if they are desperate enough!! Haha...


~Kelvin~

Betch said...

yeah that wud b a smart move kel.

sorry lor, a bit kelam kabut since my phone got lost. i thought i'd jst announce it on facebook or the blog only...

The Politician said...

I wonder what happens to Pemancing if he was in your place Betch? Hahaha. He has to pay the phone for the theft?

Betch said...

I think he might die, politician, he had been talking so dearly abt his beloved phone b4 he got it... i seriously think it might kill him...

Syaza said...

Damn. I swear I would've done the exact same thing you did. Thank God for two things: that you're unharmed, and that you lost an outdated phone, not some really keng one. :P

@nne said...

oh goodness. i new low for robbery. sigh. u'd think a well dressed robber in a car would go for better phones.

lesson:
dial the number for the person and talk to the other person for him. a little more troublesome but safer.

Betch said...

Syaza: Haha. Anyway, what's important now is that EVERYONE should learn not to be TOO nice on the streets.

Anne: Yeah i know... sighz. A lesson learned.

mr. Elly"za"Bird said...

better way, on loudspeaker la n let him talk while u holding the phone!

Betch said...

thanks kok soon... :)